Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wool Diaper Boosters

The kids have been in disposables for night time for quite a while now because they grew out of the cloth diapers last year and I never got around to making more. There is no way I'd get them in diapers now so I have been working with a design for cloth pull-ups. With baby on the way and so much to do for the baby, I haven't had a lot of time, so it was suggested on my Cloth Diaper Group that the Tinkle Time Overnight Trainer was a great pattern to use. Yes, I BOUGHT a pattern. I'll do up a post on that in a bit. I did find though that the kids are still leaking through and I think it's just an absorbency issue. Here is my solution -

WOOL Diaper Boosters!! Why not right? If back when they wore diapers with wool covers to bed and I never had leaks, why not put a wool barrier between the soaker and the cover. I googled this to see if such a thing existed and sure enough, it does.

Now I was in search for some wool I could use. I have an old Bay blanket - the one with the red, green & yellow stripe. I was HOPING this was going to be wool because then we could have fun dying it with Koo-laid. So I did a burn test and was disappointed that this thing went up in flames really easily and was hard to blow out. Boo for polyester! I had another blanket that I've had for years that is slightly scratchy so not used much and it's a nice blue so I did the burn test on it as well (even though I knew it was wool) and sure enough it hardly caught flame and smelled like I was blow drying a sheep.

I cut out 10 liners and then lanolized them so they will hopefully be all ready to use tonight. Here is the picture breakdown:

STEP ONE: I put all the liners in the sink with lukewarm/warm water with a little bit of baby shampoo and gently swished them around.

STEP TWO: Add a little bit of Lanolin to a small cup of hot water, stir to dissolve.

STEP THREE: Pour in the wash water. Swish around some more.
STEP FOUR: Lay them out on a towel and pat them dry. Roll up in towel to squeeze out excess water and lay flat to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment